Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Passion and Meaningless Rambles: I like pop music

I've found in keeping and reading a variety of blogs over the past 7 or so years that the best blogs are written with passion or conviction. If they aren't, then they're written about something completely silly and unimportant, but something about it keeps you coming back. They're rarely written about the mundane. And if they're written for a mass audience, they're rarely autobiographical (unless the person is a celebrity, then I guess you could get away with that).

I just attempted to make a point, and now that I've switched paragraphs, I'm going to try and connect that point to something I like a lot: pop music. It's silly and unimportant. It rarely has any real meaning, but something about it keeps you coming back. I've recently started to really think about why I like pop music so much, long after the age you're supposed to realize how shitty it is and move on to something better. Then, I figured it out: pop music is a catchy escape. It doesn't make you think. It just makes you dance (because just dancing makes everything okay). But really.

I'm not really writing this blog with a particular level of passion, but it is silly and unimportant. I find long blocks of text pretty unappealing, so instead of continuing to argue about the ways in which pop music is an escape from reality (much like video games or television), I'm going to compose a list of my favorite pop songs of the moment. Lists are fun when they're meaningless (like your favorite pop songs of the moment) or when they're filled with passion (a bucket list/life goals list). But when they're written about the mundane things (to-do lists), they're not that fun. See? You can make this connection with a lot of things, it seems. I'm sure my argument is flawed, though, so let's just move on to my list.

My Fave Pop Songs of the Moment:

1. Half of My Heart- John Mayer
2. Tearin' Up My Heart- N*SYNC
3. Somebody to Love- Justin Bieber
4. Impossible- Shontelle
5. Round and Round- Selena Gomez

I was going to stop at 5, but I'll include All I Do Is Win (DJ Khaled) as an honorable mention.

2 comments:

  1. I have no magical observations, but I just wanted to say HELLO. Hellooooooooooo! I am not at all well versed in pop music, but I tend to like it. some of it. The bits I like. I don't know. I am rambling. Again, HELLO. I hope you are well. I also like lists, though I've never really tried making any. I doubt I'm gifted in that arena, but they can be fun and entertaining and wonderful--have you read The McSweeney's Book of Lists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @alwayskatharine I don't know why I'm just now seeing your comment, but YAY, thank you! Also, HELLO. i haven't read The McSweeney's Book of Lists, but I'm intrigued. :)

    ReplyDelete